Please note, when planning your trip to Coral Hill Bungalows, we do not allow check ins after 9:00pm
There are several options for transportation to Coral Hill Bungalows.
We are located 130 miles from San Jose. It is about a 4+ hour trip by car, bus or van service, depending on traffic and road construction.
Please note that when planning you transportation to Cahuita, we do not accept check ins after 9:00 pm. If you are arriving in San Jose late in the afternoon or evening, we strongly recommend that you spend the night in San Jose.
1) You can rent a car and drive the four+ hours. The roads are in good condition and fairly well signed. We can e-mail you directions or GPS coordinates that the car rental agency can put in the car’s GPS. The Waze app also works well in Costa Rica. Feel free to contact us for specific driving directions to Coral Hill Bungalows. *Car rental is also available in the nearby town of Puerto Viejo should you desire transportation during your stay with us.
2) Private taxi- Picked up directly at the airport and brought to our front door. Cost is ~ $180-$200. I do need several days advance notice to make a reservation.
3) Shuttle van service- Interbus (www.interbusonline.com), or Caribe shuttle (www.caribeshuttle.com) offer twice daily service from San Jose to Cahuita for $52-55 per person each way. The ride, again, is about 4-5 hours. They can be booked online directly and need at least a one day advance notice. Another company, www.costaricashuttle.com, offers a private van service anytime day or night for about $200 to $240 one way.
Interbus and Caribe shuttle cannot pick you up directly from the airport, due to restrictions from the taxi service. Kind of like Uber and Lyft at other airports. It is a short cab ride to their off site meeting place at a nearby hotel/restaurant. They have had this arrangement for years. They can, however, pick you up directly at any hotel in San Jose. Please refer to their respective websites for up-to-date schedules and fees.
4) Local bus- There is a direct non-stop bus from the Terminal Atlantico Norte /San Carlos in San Jose to Cahuita. The ride is also 4+ hours and costs about $12 per person each way. They depart the San Jose terminal at 6am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm and 6pm. They sometimes are not air conditioned, but are fairly new. You would take a taxi from the airport to the bus terminal for about $30, and another taxi from the Cahuita bus station to us for about $4. We are 1 kilometer north of the bus station at Playa Negra.
5) Regional airline flight- Sansa Air (www.flysansa.com) is a regional airline that flies from the San Jose airport to the Limon airport which is only 30 minutes away from us. The flight is only about 35 minutes and you’re here. A taxi can pick you up at the Limon airport and bring you to us. Taxi cost is ~$50. Please refer to their website for up-to-date schedules and fees.